Cast Size: Medium (5-21) • Large (14+). Vocal Demands: Easy • Moderate. Dance Requirements: Some Dancing Required • Minimal. Good For: College/University • Amateur/Community • Professional Theatre • Religious Organization.
To request the rights to make merchandise for this show email [email protected].
Outer Critics Circle AwardsJanuary 01, 1962 — Award for Best Musical
Tony AwardsJanuary 01, 1962 — 4 Awards for the Original Broadway ProductionComposer, Richard RodgersActress (Musical), Diahann CarrollChoreographer, Joe LaytonSpecial Award, Richard Rodgers for all he has done for young people in the theatre and for taking the men of the orchestra out fo the pit and putting them on stage in NO STRINGS (from www.tonyawards.com)10 Nominations including Best Musical, Director and Actor (Musical)
Vocal Range of Characters:
Written By: Richard Rodgers
There was more to Diahann [Carroll] than vocal ability...she looked like she had just stepped off the cover of a fashion magazine. Her singing and her appearance immediately gave me the idea of starring her in a musical in which she would play a chic, sophisticated woman of the world. She would not represent a cause or be a symbol of her race, but a believable human being, very much a part of a stratum of society that the theatre thus far had never considered for a black actress. Such casting, I felt, would be more effective than anything strident or preachy in breaking down racial stereotypes that had persisted for too long on Broadway...
Early that summer Dorothy and I went up to Sam [Taylor's] place in East Blue Hill, Maine, where we discussed various aspects of the story. Diahann would play an American model living in Paris who meets and falls in love with another American, a former Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist who is now just another expatriate bum sponging off wealthy tourists. The girl helps restore his self-confidence and his desire to resume writing, but the distractions of the affluent life around him are too much. He can only work if he returns home to Maine -- Sam's only autobiographical touch -- but when he asks the girl to go with him they both realize that it could never work out, and they part.
MAKE YOUR OWN PLAYBILL! Playbill VIP allows you to create your very own Playbill Program. We have provided Playbill with all of the credits, song listings, musical numbers and more so that most of the work is already done for you. Just add your productions details, photos of the cast and share it with all of your friends. Learn more: www.playbillvip.com
- Libretto 10-Pack (10 LIB, 10 PV)
- 10 – Libretto
- 10 – PIANO VOCAL SCORE
- NO STRINGS - Orchestration Package (20 Books/21 Players)
- 2 – PIANO VOCAL SCORE
- 1 – REED I (Piccolo, Flute, Alto Flute, Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
- 1 – REED II (Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Baritone Saxophone)
- 1 – REED III (Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
- 1 – REED IV (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
- 1 – REED V (Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
- 1 – REED VI (Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone)
- 1 – REED VII (Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
- 1 – REED VIII (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Baritone Saxophone)
- 1 – TRUMPETS I-IV
- 1 – TRUMPETS II-III
- 1 – TROMBONE I
- 1 – TROMBONE II
- 1 – TROMBONE III (Doubles Bass Trombone)
- 1 – DRUMS
- 1 – PERCUSSION (see "Materials Notes", under "Production Information")
- 1 – GUITAR
- 1 – HARP
- 1 – BASS
- Rehearsal Set (20 Lib, 22 PV)
- 22 – PIANO VOCAL SCORE
- 1 – Logo CD
- 20 – Libretto
- Digital Logo
- Libretto/Vocal Books 10 pack (Do Not Use)
- 10 – Libretto-Vocal Books (Do Not Use)
- NO STRINGS - PRE-PRODUCTION PACKAGE
- 1 – Libretto
- 1 – PIANO VOCAL SCORE
NO STRINGS takes place in France.
The original production was a unit set using scaffolds, props, lights and revolving screens to depict scenes in Paris, Monte Carlo, Honfleur, Deauville and St. Tropez.