The legendary Shubert Theatre, New Haven, hosted the world premieres of nearly every Rodgers & Hammerstein musical from AWAY WE GO! (a.k.a. OKLAHOMA!) in 1943 to THE SOUND OF MUSIC in 1959...This summer, as the theatre underwent extensive renovations, rows of auditorium seats dating back to 1939 were replaced, and the originals donated to worthy theatres in the New Haven area... Generously, and not a bit unsentimentally, Shubert Chairman Ronald G. Shaw and President Caroline Werth saw to it that two pairs of original seats were put aside and given to R&H for our uptown and downtown offices, where they now reside as silent testimonials to a golden age in musical theatre. To sit in them is to marvel: from these seats patrons watched the earliest performances of R&H roles by Alfred Drake, Celeste Holm, John Raitt, Mary Martin, Ezio Pinza, Gertrude Lawrence and Yul Brynner. They may now be retired, but these seats still hold plenty of magic.